Vernon Hills, IL
Toshiba Medical Research Institute USA, Inc. (TMRU) is a multi-modality R&D organization creating next-generation medical imaging systems. For those who like to develop new technologies and research new ways of using them, Toshiba is a rewarding place to work, due to its focus on innovation as the lifeblood of new products.
TMRU, awarded the 2016 Seal of Distinction award from WorldatWork®, is committed to recognizing and appreciating the variety of characteristics that make individuals unique in an atmosphere that promotes work/life balance and celebrates individual and collective achievement. We are especially interested in qualified candidates who can contribute, through their experience, education, research and/or service, to the diversity and excellence of our organization and the scientific and engineering community at large.
TMRU offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation and benefits. We are an equal opportunity employer (EOE).
Summary of Position
The QIQ Scientist at Toshiba Medical Research Institute USA (TMRU) will be responsible for creating and applying image quality metrics for X-ray based imaging modalities to a) support validation, benchmarking, and optimization of products, b) provide scientific support to successfully clear products through the FDA, c) verify products meet 3rd party image quality standards, and d) aid clinical research at Toshiba luminary sites with physics-based image quality support for clinical research and clinical trials.
- Develop objective image quality metrics for characterizing image quality.
- Analyze image quality data and generate reports.
- Establish and maintain image quality assurance and validation programs.
- Collect phantom image quality data on Toshiba scanners.
- Develop solutions to new technical needs identified by luminary sites.
- Support Toshiba's work with national and international organizations, such as ACR, FDA, IEC, AAPM, and MITA, on scientific matters involving X-ray imaging technologies.
- Support the installation, configuration, validation, troubleshooting and refinement of cutting-edge prototype and early release products.
- Set up quality control for clinical trials.
- Periodically facilitate collaboration between luminary researchers and visiting Toshiba product engineers.
- Protect Toshiba Intellectual Property, respect the Intellectual Property of the site, and communicate with the Senior Manager of Quantitative Image Quality about potential opportunities or threats.
- Submit weekly progress notes and quarterly reports.
- Present talks regarding Toshiba imaging technology and related research and development.
- Write scientific publications.
- A Master’s or Ph.D. in Medical Physics, Physics or Electrical Engineering with a concentration in diagnostic imaging or equivalent with 1–6 years of related image quality experience. ABR certification / eligibility not required.
- Strong background in:
- CT and X-ray imaging technology including: basic science, image quality, radiation dose, detector physics, reconstruction and hardware design.
- Image science including an understanding of Fourier analysis and metrology.
- Model observer or human observers a plus.
- An understanding of the technical abilities of imaging modalities.
- Proficiency with Matlab and C++.
- Experience with reading, analyzing, and interpreting common scientific and technical journals.
- Proven ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers or regulatory agencies.
- Experience writing presentations and articles for publications that conform to prescribed style and format both for technical review and in layman's terms.
- Effectively present information to a variety of people, including senior management, groups, and/or board of directors.
- Ability to translate complex ideas into easy to understand explanation.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Communication — verbal, written, listening.
- Time/task management.
- Ability to complete domestic and occasional international travel is required.
The position is at the Toshiba Medical Research Institute headquarters in Vernon Hills, IL, USA. Vernon Hills is a suburb located about 35 miles northwest of Chicago.