Vernon Hills, IL
Toshiba Medical Research Institute USA, Inc. (TMRU) is a multi-modality R&D organization creating next-generation medical imaging systems. For those who like to develop new technologies and research new ways of using them, Toshiba is a rewarding place to work, due to its focus on innovation as the lifeblood of new products.
TMRU, awarded the 2016 Seal of Distinction award from WorldatWork®, is committed to recognizing and appreciating the variety of characteristics that make individuals unique in an atmosphere that promotes work/life balance and celebrates individual and collective achievement. We are especially interested in qualified candidates who can contribute, through their experience, education, research and/or service, to the diversity and excellence of our organization and the scientific and engineering community at large.
TMRU offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation and benefits. We are an equal opportunity employer (EOE).
Summary of Position
The Senior-level FPGA/ASIC Engineer is responsible for any/all aspects of FPGA/ASIC development, ranging from requirements analysis and architecture down to integration and debug. The senior-level engineer may also be responsible for technical leadership of the FPGA/ASIC development for a design.
- Develops digital FPGA/ASIC logic solutions targeting applications such as system communications/control, data movement and processing, and embedded microprocessors.
- Participates in the engineering life cycle of FPGA/ASIC products including requirements, architecture, design, implementation, verification, integration, and debug following appropriate engineering best practices and department processes.
- Prepares design documentation and participates-in design reviews.
- Provides input for project analysis and planning efforts and provides timely status input to engineering management.
- A Bachelor's of Science (or above) in Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering with 5+ years of relevant experience. Or more than 8 years of related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Strong background in:
- Complex digital FPGA/ASIC architecture and design for embedded systems
- High bandwidth data communications, storage, and manipulation in an FPGA/ASIC
- Writing and reviewing documentation including requirements, design, verification, and interface guides (e.g. User, Software)
- Hardware/Software integration and lab debug using common equipment including internal FPGA logic analyzer tools (e.g. Xilinx ChipScope or Vivado Logic Analyzer)
- Working within or leading a small team of developers in a coordinated and efficient manner to deliver high quality and timely product
- Communicating and coordinating across engineering functional teams to achieve project goals
- HDL coding (e.g. VHDL, Verilog, etc.) for FPGA or ASIC development and simulation
- HDL design and coding best practices for purpose (e.g. resource use, clock-rate, latency)
- FPGA/ASIC design tools, simulation tools (e.g. Xilinx Vivado, Mentor QuestaSim)
- Source control tools (e.g. Subversion, ClearCase)
- Standard office software (e.g. MS Word, Excel, etc.)
- Generates creative solutions; welcomes feedback to modify and improve designs
- Is accurate, thorough and monitors own work quality; constantly looking for ways to improve and promote quality
- Quickly adapts to changes in priority, approach or method to best fit the situation; manages competing demands; deals well with delays or unexpected events
- Effectively presents information to a variety of people, including senior management and peers on project teams; ability to translate complex ideas into easy to understand explanation
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong communication (verbal, written, listening) and time/task management skills
- Is tactful and professional; treats others with respect and consideration
- Ability to complete occasional domestic or international travel is required.
The position is at the Toshiba Medical Research Institute USA, Inc. headquarters in Vernon Hills, IL, USA. Vernon Hills is a suburb located about 35 miles northwest of Chicago.